These are great conversation starters on road-trips (like to Springforth this weekend! See you there if you’re coming!), around the snack or dinner table, while waiting, in small groups…With this list I have in mind generation Y (born between about 1980 to 1990) and generation Z (born between about the mid-1990s to the late-2000s) people in particular (but I’m sure they’d work with other generations too). The questions in this list are sometimes deep, sometimes simple, sometimes fun..because life is all those things and more.
- What is one thing you would love to smash with a hammer if you would not get in trouble for it and why?
- What movie or TV show have you seen in the last year that you wish all your friends could see? Why?
- What kind of world would it be if everyone in it were just like you? Be specific.
- Which is greater – riding a ferris wheel or a rollercoaster?
- What would you do if you found out today that you won ten million dollars (tax free!)?
- If you went to sleep, and while you were sleeping a miracle happened in your life (in the area you need it most), when you woke-up in the morning, what would be your first clues that a miracle had occurred?
- What has been one of the most memorable compliments you have ever received?
- Which is greater – watching Netflix or going to the movie theatre?
- What are 5 things you love to do?
- What are 5 things you hate to do?
- Who is your best friend right now? What makes you such good friends?
- What are 3 things you strongly believe?
- What do you think God’s opinion is of you? If you could read God’s mind – what would God be thinking of you right now?
- If you had the power to recreate yourself, what are 3 things you would not change?
- What are 3 things you will never do?
- If you could change anything about church, what would you change?
- What makes you feel loved and appreciated?
- What are 5 things on your wish list?
- How do you best hear from God?
- What is the biggest highlight in your life in the last 6 months?
- What is the biggest challenge in your life in the last 6 months?
- What 5 words would you use to describe Jesus?
- If God put you completely in charge of making heaven, what would it be like?
- If you could be a cartoon character, who would you be and why?
- What story do you enjoy hearing your parents or other relatives tell about something you did or said when you were little?
- What is your definition of success? Are you successful by your own definition?
- What are your biggest questions about your relationship with God?
- What was the greatest achievement you have experienced in your life so far?
- What is the greatest misconception people have about you?
- Who has been the most outrageously loving person in your life? How did/do they show it?
Enjoy the conversations!
Note – some of these questions have been adapted from “Ministry is Relationships” By cadreministries.com
[…] 6. Ask great questions (and teach students to ask great questions): a. Who do you hang-out with in your neighbourhood? b. What is life like for you and your neighbours? c. Can you see God working in that persons’ life – how? d. Anything crappy going on in their life – how can you show God’s kindness? e. Anything good going on in their life – how can you celebrate with them? f. Anything good going on in your neighbourhood where you could join in? g. Anything bad going on in your neighbourhood (e.g. school closing, graffiti at the park…) where you could join in to make a difference? h. If you are looking for conversation starting questions to help get into deeper discussions check out last weeks blog: 30 Great Conversation Starters […]